Thursday, April 22, 2010

An Uninvited Visitor

I decided to share this funny story with you guys because the weather is getting warmer and, like I mentioned in my last blog, all the little critters that are looking for food are coming out of hibernation to find a midnight snack.

Even though the rule in our apartment complex is that there may be no trash bags with apartment waste left outside apartment doors, in breezeways, or on the curbs, the tenants in my building have not followed this rule. This has unfortunately attracted some pretty unfortunate and uninvited visitors to the building. Since my apartment is on the first floor, my roommates and I have come face to...face? with some creepy critters.

These have included:
  • bees
  • snakes
  • birds
  • ants
  • other insects
  • and worst of all...SKUNKS!
I came home last night to the smell of skunk again, and I immediately heightened my awareness. This may seem an odd reaction, but the last time I smelled skunk, my roommate almost got sprayed by one lurking in our recycling bins. It was rummaging through the trash bags that other tenants had precariously left sitting outside my apartment door and near the walkway.

My poor roommate, was coming home late one evening after a long day. She was searching for her keys in her purse while walking past the heaping piles of trash towards our apartment door, and all of the sudden...she was face to face with a skunk!

Very slowly, she crept past the skunk, trying not to startle the little guy and cause him to spray in panic. Frantically, she shoved her key into the lock and in wave of panic and clumsiness, she dropped them on the pavement! She froze, as did the skunk...luckily my other roommate heard the doorknob rattling and came to her rescue.

As soon as my other roommate opened the door, she shoved them both back into the apartment and quickly slammed the door. Needless to say, it was a rather traumatic experience...one that I hope to avoid!

No comments:

Post a Comment