Last night's sleep was anything but restful, as I experienced not one, but TWO rude awakenings in the same night...
So just as I was drifting off into a blissful sleep, induced by my boring textbook reading assignment, I was jolted awake by a resonating BANG that had me checking my sheets to see if I wet myself. My first reaction, as always, was "Holy CRAP! Gunshots in my apartment building!? Hit the Deck!" But as the aftershock wore off and I regained full consciousness, I remembered that this is a usual occurrence...and my heart rate started to slow to normal.
Yes ladies and gentlemen, this is NOT the first time I have heard these jolting BANGS. But have no fear, because that frightening noise is nothing but some pranksters setting off fireworks or their home-made explosives that they must have Googled directions to in a drunken moment of silliness. However, it still is an unpleasant wake-up call...at 12:30 on a Wednesday night.
The second, albeit not as alarming, rude awakening was the incessantly loud and piercing CHIRPS of the birds who have set up camp outside my bedroom window. I initially thought I was dreaming, but when I rolled over in my comfortable bed and opened my eyes, the clock read 6:14 am. My alarm was due to ring not for another hour and a half and I was LIVID. Not only could I not fall back asleep, but I still had 90 more minutes of prime sleep time before my long day of 5 classes.
Needless to say, I may be making a trip (or three) to Starbucks for a jolt of caffeine. Here's to hoping tonight's sleep will be more uneventful.
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am really excited to follow your blog. I haven’t lived in an apartment yet so I see your stories as good warnings for what to expect when I do. But even though I’m living on campus, I can still understand, from experience, that there can be some pretty annoying people in this town. I too have had my share of terribly loud people outside my window. I can’t wait to hear more of your horror stories, but I hope that they are not too awful, for your sake
ReplyDeletepretty original idea for a blog. you should have a lot of material to write about living at JMU.
ReplyDeletesounds like the people who live around you are pretty wild. i assure you, you will encounter loud drunk people no matter what day of the week it is.
what apartment complex do you live in?
Katie-Thanks for being the 1st person to respond to my blog! There have been even crazier stories than what I've shared so far...I'll be sure to work them in haha. You'll be fine living in an apartment once you do, it really is worth all this trouble haha Don't fear!
ReplyDeleteAlex-Thanks for commenting as well! I certainly have a LOT of material to work with haha. and I'd rather not say where I live, just for security sake. :)
I can totally relate to this topic... great idea! This is my first year living off campus too. I live in the basement and am constantly hearing the slams of my front door and my whole house shaking and people walking around upstairs. It's very hard to sleep sometimes haha but it's all part of the experience I guess!
ReplyDeleteReading from the perspective of a person who still lives on campus is interesting for me because it kind of gives me a warning of what to come. I live on the first floor with my window right next to the courtyard in my dorm so I can definitely relate to the bangs and sleep interruptions. Hopefully it gets better next year when I live off campus but from reading this it may stay the same.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great idea for a blog. This year I have been living in an apartment complex and I was surprised how easily I could hear people. For some reason our neighbors below us are alway singing backstreet boys and the it sounds like the neighbors above us are bowling. On the weekends people are so loud through out the whole night. I was wondering if you could at least tell us what complex you lived in? Maybe we share neighbors.
ReplyDelete